Cronulla Surfing Academy are looking to expand our team of Surf Coaches, Body Board Coaches, Assistant Coaches and OTs.
Over 20 years we’ve built a business that encourages people of all ages to learn to surf in a fun and safe way. Our programs build self-esteem and confidence in and out of the water.
Cronulla Surfing Academy has the world’s best office – the big blue. Due to growth in the business we are now looking to expand our team.
If you love the ocean and enjoy working with kids, this could be the job for you. Join us and Share the Stoke!
Cronulla Surfing Academy are looking for strong surfers with a customer service background.
You don’t need previous surf coaching experience – We will help train you up and get you accredited.
We are looking for RELIABLE, CONFIDENT people who LOVE Coaching Kids! This is a super fun job! You get to share the stoke your love of what we do with others all summer long.
Positions Currently Available
Easy Going Nature
Flexible Work Hours
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get a job as a surf instructor?
CSA has a great reputation for having fully qualified and totally professional surf coaches. We expect the absolute best. It might not be easy getting a job with us, but if you’re the right person for our team we want to meet you! We are always looking for good coaches and are happy to hear from people who fit our criteria which includes:
- Good surfer with solid ocean and water safety knowledge
- Positive attitude and hard worker
- Fit , healthy & can handle working in the water in all kinds of weather conditions
- Excellent communicator, interpersonal & presentation skills
- Natural leader
- Available to work weekends, do early starts, late finishes and work through the summer season
- Previous coaching experience (not necessarily surfing) and customer service experience appreciated
- Willing to undertake the necessary training (see below).
What training do I need to do to be a surf instructor?
CSA instructors are very fit and highly qualified and have undergone some pretty rigorous training. To become a coach you need to do a number of courses which will cost you around $700 (approximately) this investment is paid to Surfing NSW, APOLA etc and is tax deductible. Completing these courses does not guarantee you a position at CSA but they are a mandatory requirement for all our coaches. Generally speaking, most people who are able to satisfy the requirements of this training do get work as a surf coach.
All our surf coaches must complete the following:
- A physical assessment held at the beach (demonstrating to us you are able to swim, have a good level of fitness, and can surf).
- A Surfing Australia or International Surfing Association Level 1 Surf Coaching course.
- APOLA courses OSSCA (or bronze medallion through a surf lifesaving club), Advance Resuscitation and Senior First Aid Course.
- 20 voluntary practical hours at a registered surf school. This is a requirement of the Foundation Surf Coaching Course and we recommend you do this with us.
Do I have to complete all of this training before I apply for a job?
No. If we think you’ve got what it takes we will invite you to start some of your training at CSA under our mentor programme – once you’ve completed our application form and physical assessment and also booked in for your Foundation Coaching Course with Surfing NSW.
Does doing the required training guarantee me a job?
No. Completing these courses does not guarantee you a position at CSA but they are a mandatory requirement for all our coaches. Generally speaking, most people who are able to satisfy the requirements of this training do get work as a surf coach.
What if I have other or overseas qualifications?
If you have completed other courses we advise you to check with Surfing Australia or International Surfing Association and check if they will grant you recognised prior learning and a coaching card without having to do further training. If not you will be required to complete the courses to gain your coaching card to work with us. All our coaches must be certified by Surfing Australia or International Surfing Association..
Where can I get more information about these training courses?
Foundation Surf Coach Course bookings
All other courses
Contact APOLA on firstname.lastname@example.org
I want to work in customer service but I’m not a great surfer.
That’s cool. We’d still like to hear from you. Typically our customer service staff love the beach but that doesn’t mean you have to know how to carve up the waves. We’re more interested in people who can simultaneously make our customers feel welcome, take bookings, juggle phone calls, help our instructors get classes underway and keep smiling!
This all sounds good. What do I do next?
If you’re confident you fit our criteria, email your resume and contact us! We look forward to hearing from you.